Friday, December 12, 2014

Ghostwriting - Pros and Cons of a Secret Writer

What is Ghostwriting? or Who is a Ghostwriter?

  1. ghostwriter is a writer who writes books, articles, stories, reports, or other texts that are officially credited to another person. Celebrities, executives, and political leaders often hire ghostwriters to draft or edit autobiographies, magazine articles, or other written material.

In order to help supplement my everyday income, I have a Fiverr page where I offer a few gigs. One of those gigs is to help other writers with their erotic love scenes. It seems, an author either has the skill or doesn't have it. Writing sex isn't as easy as it looks. For those who would like to make their living writing erotic or romance short stories, books, or anything in between but can't seem to figure out how to write the actual act, I am their savior.

I have written for at least two prolific, and I assume top-selling authors since they keep returning fo rmore stories and absolutely rave about my style and talent, of relatively popular erotic/romance ebooks (according to my limited Amazon searches). I have written for three separate sites which sell erotic stories. All of these, I have been happy to do. Here's why:

For only $4 I write a 500-1,000 word excerpt about the characters of their choice, doing the things of their choice, in the location of their choice, and as hot or raunchy as they chose. They make all the decisions and all I have to do is write. It is incredibly liberating! I don't have to think of what happens before or what might happen after. I don't have to create the characters and make them real. All I do is get them together. It allows me the freedom to explore different phrases, acts, experiences, behavior that might not have thought to use before. Very often, I get a rush of creative ideas for my own works right after I finish a gig.

The only thing which bothers me is the amount of time and effort I put into each excerpt. As a perfectionist, I always want to do my best but sometimes I go a little too overboard. I write too much. I get invested in the story and characters and then almost want to beg the author to let me write more, finish the book, whatever. And, for so little. $4 is really not enough. But, as an amateur, I still shy away from asking more. I am not a well-known author.

And the time I spend writing these excerpt's takes away from the time I have each week to dedicate to my own writing. I am afraid of the day I will end up ghostwriting more than actually writing my own stuff. To become a famous writer, through the work of others (although I did read one review of book I helped write in which the reviewer said the best part of the book for her was the sex scenes. My scenes!), yet still unknown.

When I thought to stop ghostwriting for a while, opting to take a month off for personal reasons, I was honestly amazed by the number of previous clients who were worried I wasn't coming back. I almost didn't want to come back. I was tired of the few clients who requested, consistently, so much more than I was actually able to give or who started off wanting simple excerpts and then arguing with me when I wasn't able to get the full story they desired written in a 1,000 words. It is amazing how a few can ruin a good thing. But, alas, after my return, those clients have gone elsewhere. What remains, it seems, are those clients who sincerely enjoy and like my work and applaud my skill.

Is ghostwriting worth it? How much would you pay to have someone else write "your" story?

No comments:

Post a Comment