Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reviews for Taken by the Lion God & Birth of the Minotaur Queen

Usually, I wouldn't consider reviewing two books at the same time, but while reading these two, I felt very much the same about them.

Let's be clear: I am not a fan of bestiality. In all honesty, I don't see the attraction to having intercourse with an animal. However, with that said, I don't find it at all bothersome to envision centaurs getting randy. Perhaps that is because, in essence, they are both animals - not just an animal and a human.

Both of these books were heavy on the animalistic side of eroticism.

In Birth of the Minotaur Queen, I liked the scenario Ms. Irons set up - this is not a story or retelling of the Theseus myth, but instead, a later story (when the Romans were the Mediterranean rulers) based on the existing labyrinth and still alive Minotaur. I really enjoyed the way she introduced the main character and the two guards. I was pleasantly surprised by the


emotional attachment I felt for the fate of the main character, even after only a few pages. However, once she got into the maze - some very intelligent and woman-power moments ensue - and meets the Minotaur, the plot Ms. Irons built just falls to pieces. She has such a promising storyline, that it is a shame she had to go and add sex to it. Once the sex comes into the picture, along with one horrible addition of Aphrodite, every care or concern I had for the main character evaporated... along with any interest in the rest of the story. By the time I reached the end, I no longer cared about the main character and felt the same revulsion the new sacrifice did. For an erotic romance, the erotic parts totally blew the story off its well-begun hinges.

Similarly, Taken by the Lion God starts off well and then just crumbles into one stupid adventure after another. I understand the author has a complete series in the works, but I have no compunction to read any of them. If her Lion God could transform into a man - a were-lion, of sorts - I could have gotten into the storyline more.

Yet, I did like the way Ms Saxx wrote the bestiality scenes. She kept it animalistic and wrote it well from the point of view of a woman being claimed by an animal. Ms. Irons tried to humanize her Minotaur too much. Ms. Saxx accepted the challenge of animal and human sex and with the Lion God as dominant, wrote it exceedingly well. Since, I am hoping to write a novella on the story of the centaurs, I greatly appreciated her take on the whole deal.

I will not claim to recommend either of these books, unless you find bestiality arousing, but I will let you know they are both available from Amazon for $2.99 and 99 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment