Sunday, December 1, 2013

Review for Hephaestus Lays Down the Law


Next up, Tilly Greene's Hephaestus Lays Down the Law from Amazon for $1.99.

So, I must be truthful. I actually purchased her other short story, Double Punch, and got this one instead. I'm not sure what to do about it, but I am disappointed, as I really wanted to read her take on Castor and Pollux. From what I read of this story, it promises to be good.

Onto this story about Hephaestus and Aphrodite. I am impressed. Ms. Greene seems to be well-read in the mythology of her characters. She fully grasped both deities extremely well, also Zeus and Hermes who had smaller parts. I enjoyed her sex scenes, finding them creative and hot. She definitely made the sex seem right and fitting to the characters' personalities.

It was a short story and I am pretty sure part of a series. Even with that said, I feel like Ms. Greene could have spent some more time on her character development. I would have enjoyed more of the conversation between Zeus and Hephaestus. I would have loved a preview of Aphrodite's sexual escapade with her boy-lover. I really wanted more about the Cyclops brothers and their maenead, Cyra. Also, I feel the conversation between Heph and Phria at the end could have been more in-depth, more conversational, and better written. She seemed to hurry through their "talk" to get to the sex quicker. It would have been divine to feel everything as they come to their separate realizations.

Finally, a note on Ms. Greene's style. There is an old adage about "painting the picture" versus "giving the facts." I feel this story could have been better had Ms. Greene taken the time to paint us the picture of her main characters, instead of just telling us what she wanted us to know. What a beautiful story it could have been!

Worth the price, though left wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment